- Witch Hazel and bush clover blooms.
- Wood Thrush, Hooded Mergansers, Gray Catbird, swallows and Chipping Sparrows depart.
- Watch for migrating hawks and Turkey Vultures.
- Juncos and White-throated Sparrows become common at feeders.
- Blackbird flocks number in the thousands as grackles, cowbirds and redwings migrate.
- Milkweed pods burst open, spreading their fluffy seeded parachutes.
- Autumn colors peak mid-month.
- Chipmunks start hibernating in underground burrows.
- American Tree Sparrows return to feeders late this month.
- Most Wood Ducks migrate south this month. A few stay to over winter.
- Waterfowl migration peaks during October.
- Beavers are very active in the evenings while caching a winter supply of food.
- American Goldfinches can be seen feeding on catkins of birch trees.
- Orionids meteor shower is late-October.
October 13th - Full Moon
October 28th - New Moon